* This article is modified and excerpted from an article by the Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM)
Why Should You Hire a Certified Property Manager (CPM®)?*
With years of experience and comprehensive management expertise, a CPM can maximize your property’s potential as an income-producing investment.
Provide management expertise
Experience is one of the defining qualities of a CPM. Candidates must have a minimum of five years of decision-making activity in real estate management before earning the CPM designation. In fact, the average CPM has over 21 years of experience. Candidates must also complete numerous hours of education, but learning doesn’t stop there. CPM designees have access to the latest industry information through the Institute’s courses, publications, conferences and web site. CPM designees manage over $834 billion in real estate assets, including approximately 9.9 million residential units and 5.8 billion net square feet of commercial space.
Compete successfully in your market
Whether all of your real estate investments are in one city or across the tristate region, as a CPM, I have the expertise needed to make your properties desirable in the local markets. I know the Greater Cincinnati area and can draw upon the knowledge of more than 8,000 other CPM designees worldwide for information and trends in other real estate markets.
Solve complex problems
With extensive analytical training and years of experience, I have the ability to deal with complex issues and unforeseen obstacles to reaching your goals. Whether a tenant crisis or a series of operational setbacks should suddenly arise, I have the troubleshooting skills to resolve the problem quickly and efficiently. I will deliver the best solutions time and time again so that your property operates seamlessly.
A CPM is a seasoned manager with multi-faceted communication skills. Aside from maintaining smooth building operations, you need someone who is capable of interacting with a diverse group of people. From one-on-one interaction with residents or tenants to boardroom meetings regarding P&L statements, I have the ability to cover the whole range of communication channels.
Help you reach your investment goals
Having a CPM manage your property means that you have someone who can do more than just building maintenance. The training involved in becoming a CPM ensures that your property will be managed as an investment. I am equally as comfortable justifying rent increases to your tenants as calculating and maximizing your ROI. Whether you intend to own property for a few years or a few decades, I will analyze your property’s financial potential to help you meet your investment goals.
Protect your investment
Integrity is critical when you entrust someone else with the management of your investment. CPM designees must abide by a rigorous Code of Professional Ethics, which is enforced by IREM. Adherence to this code requires the use of utmost care in managing your property and handling funds. Those violating the ethical code are subject to revocation of their CPM designation. You can trust me with your real estate investment.
In addition to meeting the experience requirement, I successfully completed these courses for the Certified Property Manager designation, Institute of Real Estate Management:
- Ethics for The Real Estate Manager
- Applying Investment Criteria to Real Estate Asset Decisions
- Measuring Performance of Real Estate Assets
- Financing and Valuation Strategies for Real Estate Assets
- Marketing and Leasing Strategies for Retail Properties
- Marketing and Leasing Strategies for Office Buildings
- Marketing and Leasing Strategies for Multi-Family Properties
- Identifying Financial Alternatives at the Property Level
- Mastering Property Budgeting and Accounting
- Managing Single-Family Homes and Small Residential Properties
- Mastering the Essentials of Marketing and Leasing
- Managing Maintenance Operations
- Risk Management: Protecting People, Property, and Profits
- Managing Human Resources for Optimal Results